Trout Creek ER : Wardens Report Oct 10, 2016
On 10/9/2016 4:28 PM, Ecological Reserve Warden Laurie Rockwell wrote:
- mild at 9c with little wind, and overcast sky and some sunshine. Needless to say it was very quiet.
- I heard 6 species of forest birds, except for one migrating Ruby-crowned Kinglet( Regulus calendula), more of a deciduous,riparian specialist.
- there were no insects and only one mammal, a Red Squirrel (Tamiasciurius hudsonicus).
- most plants were in seed. In flower were: Common Rabbit Bush(Ericameris nauseosa) and Douglas Knotweed(Polygonum douglasii). I saw no Diffuse Knapweed (Centaura diffusa) or Sulpher Cinquefoil (Potentilla recta).
Prickly Pear Cactus (Opuntia fragilis) is spreading all over the reserve.
- golfers at the 12th green of the golf course seem to be accessing the reserve to look for errant balls, from the broken gate as the fence was not broken down as it usually is.
- no sign of human activity such as deer hunters.
- Laurie Rockwell